Friday, January 9, 2015

cafe and the girls

I just got back from a Cafe Rio lunch with some of my best girl friends. We frequently find ourselves at Cafe (as we so lovingly call it) in some combination, every week or so. Lately it's just me and Becca but once in awhile the stars will align and the whole crew will squeeze at a table and we'll all order the same things we've always ordered and for an hour, it's like time hasn't passed at all.

I was lucky enough to find most of my girlfriends in high school or before. They've known me since I had braces and couldn't quite tame my curly mane (can I tame my mane? That's up for debate). They've seen me cry over dumb boys and they've made me laugh till I cry, countless times. The 6 of us lived together in various combinations during our Provo years and those are some of my favorite times. They wore shirts with my face on them for my 20th birthday... only the best friends do that.

There's been 5 weddings and 3.5 kids and now we're separated by 3 states and hundreds of miles. Today it hit me that there were 2 babies with us this time and it felt like I'd time traveled or something. Aren't we still 20 years old, meeting up at cafe in between classes? Where did the babies and the husbands and the college degrees and real life jobs come from?

You would think this would make me sad, but it actually made me very very happy. My friends are still beautiful and accomplished and now they are wonderful mothers and spouses and that's so inspiring to me. I can't wait to follow in their footsteps.

But I'm also grateful that there will always be the 6 of us, and there will always be Cafe.




No comments: