Tuesday, March 16, 2010

my mornings


Let me just paint you a portrait of my mornings on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. First off, I pretty much dread them. More so now that I've lost an hour and my body is still telling me it's 5:45 while the clock says differently. Hate that! Anyways, my alarm goes off at 6:45 AM and I push the snooze button approximately 5 times before I actually wake up. I'm one of those weird people who sets her alarm extra early so that I can press the snooze button without actually feeling bad about. By the way, have you ever heard your alarm somewhere other than by your bed? Like, my alarm for years was wake me up before you go-go, and now whenever I hear it on tv or something, I get instantly pissed because I feel like I have to wake up. Weird.

Anyways, I wake up and hurry to get ready. Probably look pretty grizzled but whatever, it's 7 in the morning. I grab my pop tarts and cranergy and head out the door, hoping its not TOO cold and that I don't have to scrape my car window because I'm already running late. I blast some good tunes to wake me up and arrive at work around 8. I go in, drop off my purse and grab my two favorite orange cones. Now, why would I be grabbing orange cones? Well, let me just tell you, I have the pleasure of helping out with carpool in the mornings. Which translates to, I have the pleasure of standing on a busy street at 8 in the morning in the freezing cold. Such a privilege, right?

Actually, despite all the sarcasm above and being ridiculously tired and freezing my royal rastafarian nay-nays off (movie, anyone?), I acutally kind of maybe love it a little. Because there's all these people giving me really weird looks and wondering what the hail I'm doing standing on a street corner at 8 in the AM. And lets be honest, it's pretty hard to miss 6 feet of blonde white girl standing randomly outside. It makes me laugh when I see their expressions. The old people always wave, and I love that. I love seeing all my littles come to school. There's Canon, who's proposed to me multiple times, and he starts waving at me half a block away and makes funny faces when he gets closer and makes me laugh. There's Devin, who gives me a dirty look and then turns around and gives me a shy smile that lets me know he really likes me, as much as he would like to be tough. There's the mom with the hugest smile who waves so enthusiastically. There's these two little first graders who always point and laugh at me and for the longest time, I had no idea why. Then last week their mom rolled down the window and told me that they're always laughing because they call me Misses Smiley and love to see my smiling face in the morning. I love that! I'm so glad someone thinks I'm always smiling. So even tough I dread them the night before and I freeze and get weird looks and sometimes when it's windy my hair goes all over the place, I love these mornings. They're the perfect way to start your day off right. I wouldn't change them at all.

5 comments:

Kadee said...

Holy crap this post made me laugh so hard...I thought I was the only goof that sets their alarm clock a million different times on purpose...and my worst nightmare each morning was having to scrape off my freakin windows. :) I'm glad you're enjoying your job.

Kadee said...

Oh and Cool Runnings?

Alyssa Joy said...

This is why we are related!! Love ya cousin

Hannah said...

This is your moma speaking...first of all you are not allowed to say the "P" word, and 2nd of all it must be a Leavitt thing because your dad does the same thing with the alarm and it drives me crazy!!!! He can go back to sleep right afterwards but I cant!!!!! Moma

Bobbi Leavitt said...

drove past your school while visiting orem and thought about you. Sorry we missed each other though. maybe next time. You keep telling me that but i am beginning to think you may not want to come. ;)