Wednesday, November 19, 2008

It's finally time!


Okay friends and family... we all know know how much I love my UNLV Rebels. Yes, it's finally that time of year! I normally hate the winter, but I actually find myself looking forward to it more and more every year because winter=college basketball. I'm such a junkie. Now, why do I love the Rebels so much? Let me fill you in. I love the drives to the games, speculating on the possibilities. I love walking through the tunnel into the T&M, with the teams warming up and so much energy in the air, it's almost tangible. I love seeing our "Rebel Family"- The Grensings, Hills, Shepards, Bridget, Mr. Carter (my health teacher turned usher), and of course Coach and Barb... its even fun seeing Ricky and Lucy and wheelchair man, no matter how much they drive us crazy. I love it when the lights go down and the inspirational pregame video comes on the screen. I love the fireworks and the fight song and the pregame intros of all our favorite players. I love the clapping prior to the tip off. I love the student section starting the RE-BELS chant, echoing through the entire building. I love the announcer saying "THREE-point goal" (and the new flashing of the Leavitt Insurance logo through the Mac... gotta love the plugs). I love the place flooded with people in Red. I love sitting next to Jessi and Kori in the best seats in the house- front row right next to the bench. I love that we have our own nicknames and jokes about everyone and everything. I love yelling at the refs... when the time is appropriate, not after every call (ahem, BYU fans). I love that Cliffy learned his lesson and started offering season tickets to the winner of the Findlay shoot-out. Times are tough Cliffy, can't be giving away cars left and right. I love the confetti after a win, and listening to Jon and Gondo on post-game live. I love that the players acknowledge the student section after the games. Classy. Basically, I love everything about this team, this place, and this game. I can't help but smile and forget everything going on outside when I step into the Mac, prepared to immerse myself in the game, good or bad. I LOVE MY REBS.
So, college basketball season is upon us, and I couldn't be more happy about. Here's to high hopes for an exciting season!

5 comments:

Dixon Leavitt said...

I couldnt have said it better myself

steve said...

great description. i feel the same way, though i have to sneak down to sit by your dad during the last 4 minutes...and he almost turned me in last game!

steve said...

i wondered who wheel chair man was, until last night. now i know.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

The Rebels love you TOO!