Monday, July 21, 2008

making lemonade.

I've been in a funk. It's hard to get back from a two week vacation and get right back into the grind we call everyday life. For me, that means an underpaid, overworked job, petty girl drama, and family withdrawls. Jet lag sucked big time, and I just missed vacation in general. When I returned to work, I found out that they hired a new girl to help in the back, which was good... except we didn't get along at all. Lets just say she had a major power trip on her first week of work. Kind of ridiculous. So I tried to get back into everything with a smile, but it seemed like life just kept throwing me curve balls. I'd been looking forward to Australia for so long that I was so disappointed to not have something to look forward to now that I was back. I attempted to get an iphone, which is a post for another date. That just added to my disappointment, since it was my birthday present and my birthday was over a month ago... I'm very impatient. Then along comes last Thursday. I woke up for work and dropped my makeup box, which followed with a shattering tube and pink liquid all over my carpet. That'll be fun to pay for once moving out time comes. Then its off to work, with awkward silences since me and power trip still haven't really become friends. After work, I go home to get on the computer and just so happen to knock over a glass of water that was on my desk. The computer shut off after getting soaked, so I took out the battery and let it dry for awhile before trying to turn it on again. Nothing. So I take it to Simply Mac and the guy tells me right off the bat that its gonna be $900 to fix, and that everyone knows you shouldn't try to turn your computer on after spilling water on it... you need to let it dry for at least 2 days. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT... apparently not. So I head to a coworkers house for a party thing and one of my managers was there, of course the one that I can't stand. She tells us that we took the trash out wrong and we're gonna get fined and the GM wanted to meet with us the next day to yell at us. GREAT. Just the cap I wanted on my perfect day. I got back to my apartment and called my Mom and just cried. I don't break down in front of a lot of people, not even my family, but I seriously had the worst day that I could remember. My Mom was so sweet and just listened to my venting and told me all the mom stuff that always makes you feel better. I said a really long prayer that night and went to bed feeling a little bit better. The next day at work, I talk to the GM about Trashgate... and she didn't even know about it. The dumb other manager was being super dramatic an made me all scared for nothing. Then I get home, and a sweet soul showed up at my door with these!


My parents are the nicest. This was such a small gesture but it really made me feel so much better about everything that had happened the day before. Everyone has heard this quote, but it became so new to me. So, for the last few days, I've been trying to make lemonade out of the lemons that have been handed to me. I've been reaching out to Power Trip, and we're becoming friendlier. The stain is still in my carpet, but I've learned not to set my makeup box on top of the tv. Best of all, my computer is working! Take that, Mac guy. It really is a miracle.
So, the moral of the story is, lemons really do turn into lemonade. They just can't do it by themselves, you have to squeeze the goodness out of them!
I hope everyone has a FANTASTIC day!

6 comments:

Alec & Tiffany Runyon said...

Just look forward to the beach...10 days and counting...YEEHA

ACR

Wade Leavitt said...

Lyss, My favorite quote from President Hinckley is
"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed. The fact is the most putts don't drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey...delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vista, and thrilling burst of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you take the ride."

Wade Leavitt said...

I love so much and I am so proud to be your father

Bobbi Leavitt said...

thanks for the post. Glad to see that other people are franticly squeezing lemons and not just me. :)

Heather said...

I am so sorry!! I hope you feel better!! and i hope you give me a call when you are down here so we can do a movie or something!!!

Janae' said...

Don't forget to pour the lemonade over a big tall glass of Sonic cruched ice. As long as you're at Sonic, get some Cheesy Tator-tots. Then, since you just had something sour (lemonade) and salty (tots), stop and get a Ben & Jerry's. Turn on MTV, any reality show will do, eat ice cream then go to bed.

Tomorrow will be better.

Well, except you won't fit into your jeans.

It works for me :)

Love you! And yes, you do have amazing parents.

Auntie Nae'