Saturday, July 12, 2008

Cairns... and BUNGEE JUMPING!!

We flew to Cairns and the boys had to play a game just a few hours after we arrived. The refs in this game were without a doubt the worst refs of all time! Coach got a technical... enough said. I don't know if Coach has ever gotten a tech! Kendall Wallace missed a 3 to win the game, so we lost, but it was a thriller. We met some little girls after the game who were enthralled with our accents and the fact that Jessica went to a Chris Brown concert... I think we are their heroes! Our first full day in Cairns (pronounced "Cans) consisted of the moment I dreaded the entire trip... Bunjee Jumping. When I first heard we had the chance, I wanted to go. That was 3 months before we left, and lets just say I changed my mind multiple times. When we left for the bungee place I determined I was just going to watch, but when we got there my loving father informed me that he prepaid so I had no choice but to go! So I got myself together and we all headed up to the top of the tower, 167 feet (15 stories) above the pool below. My dad agreed to go with me and I wanted to go first and get it over with. So me and him get all strapped in and I'm getting kind of excited to go... then we step to the edge. I LOST IT. I started shaking and crying and the poor guy at the top just kept saying "you'll be okay Alyssa, just go you'll be fine." Then he counts down 5,4,3,2,1... and we jumped! I BUNGEE JUMPED! I cried but I did it! It was seriously the best, coolest thing I have ever done in my life. I can't even describe the rush! It was amazing and I'm so glad I did it! Shout Out to Jessi and Kori, Bridget and Rich and the Grensings who did it too... even 11 year-old Gentry! Coach and Barb came to watch and it was so fun to see everyone jump!
Before...

During...


After...

All I can say is that if you get the chance to Bungee, do it!!

Our last day in Cairns was spent at the beautiful Great Barrier Reef! We took a pretty rocky boat ride out to a barge, where we were able to snorkel and scuba dive and take a helicopter ride to see the reef from above. Scuba Diving was incredible! I am terrified of fish, but it was so calm and beautiful when we were 30 feet underneath the water. It was a lot easier then we thought it would be!
Us with Beas and on the boat


The water was so clear and pretty!

Our trip back to the States was pretty difficult. We flew two hours back to Brisbane, then 14 hours to LA. Our flight was late getting into LA so we missed our connecting flight to Vegas! Luckily, Grand called the plane to come pick us up. The Blacks are the best and are so generous! We love them so much! We got into LA at 9:00 that morning and the team didn't even get back to Vegas until 7 that night. They are troopers! I'm pretty much done with flying for awhile, because the flight back was brutal, even an ambien didn't work!
I'm so lucky to have been able to go on this trip! It was amazing and I will never forget it! I LOVE AUSTRALIA!

3 comments:

Wade Leavitt said...

you are my bungee jumping soulmate!!! I love you so much in spite of the fact you are an "iphone loser"

Heather said...

i cannot believe that you jumped... i got nervous just reading about it!! What was this trip for? Were you there with the UNLV team? I think we should plan a girls trip to Australia for sure!

Michelle said...

hey this is aubrey grensing...i love your blog. i didn't even know you had one until i saw your coment. australia was so much fun and hopefully we can all go again in four years to the next unlv trip. i hope we can do something before school starts so just give us a call and we can hopefully get together