Tuesday, June 17, 2008

farewell to teenagerdom.


In about an hour, I will be 20 years old.

Now, to you, 20 probably still seems young and fresh, but to me, 20 sounds... mature. advanced. responsible. very adult. and OLD. I feel weird telling people that I am 20 years old, when I still feel/act like a 14 year old! Oh life... it just goes by so quickly.

Not that I'm not excited to be 20! It's cool. I've been on the planet for a score... at least I think that's what 20 years is? Like when Abraham Lincoln said "Four score and seven years ago..." that means 87 years right? Besides the point... 20 years is a long time! I remember turning 10. Kyle Garrett and Michael Winn heart attacked my yard and left me flowers and I thought I was the coolest girl in the world. I feel like that was yesterday! For my 11th birthday I was in St. Louis visiting my cousins and we got to go get our hair done and Aunt Chris made us these pretty red dresses and once again, I felt like the coolest girl in the world. For my 16th birthday my dad took me and a few friends to California to go to Six Flags and Venice Beach. Although teenage insecurities prevent me from being able to say that I felt like the coolest girl in the world, it was still a memorable trip. My 18th birthday came just a few days after graduation, so I got a new car, my beloved Silver Vue. An accident, blown tires, busted headlights and multiple speeding tickets later, she still serves me well. For my 19th, my mom and sister were off frolicking in Europe without me, so my dad gave me $200 and told me to go knock myself out. I bought an external hard drive for my struggling computer... needless to say, I didn't feel so cool.

So here I am at 20, no longer a teen but still feeling oh so young. I guess I'm what Britney Spears would classify as "Not a girl, not yet a woman"... but Britney's crazy so I like to think of myself as a little bit of both.

Happy June 18th!

4 comments:

Alec & Tiffany Runyon said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It's 12:24 a.m. so it's officially your birthday now. I have a chemisry test in 7 hours so I am up studying but I needed a break so I thought I'd check out your blog.

You are in trouble with me though. If you are sick just come chill on our couch and Tiff can make you some of her classic Brocoli and Cheese Soup! Delish!

HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY you old fart!

Andrew & Heidi said...

Happy Birthday you young thing!! Enjoy your twenties!

Heather said...

Happy happy Birthday!!! I must say i felt the same when when i turned 20...kinda a blah feeling, excited but scared of what is ahead in the next chapter of your life...Well good luck and I am sure you will do great things now that you are 20!!! welcome to this side of the threshold

Bobbi Leavitt said...

wait until you turn 25. oh man. you still feel 'young' but people who are 20 look at you and think, man your 'old'.
but youre still the coolest person in the world!