Wednesday, May 14, 2008

sunday school goodness!


Sunday was the first day in our new ward, and for some reason we decided to go to Marriage Prep class (no, I am not engaged, or even dating anyone for that matter). The lady that taught was a sweet older woman that was the first counselor's wife, and she gave the best lesson. Luckily for us, the lesson was more on dating rather than marriage. One thing that I thought was interesting was how she talked about becoming the person you need to be before you can find the person to spend eternity with. Living in MarriageVille USA has made me a little down on myself lately, since the last guy I seriously dated was a little over a year ago. Like probably all single girls in this town, you get kinda lonely when you see couples taking walks and holding hands. This lesson really made me realize that I have some work to do on myself before I can really be ready to share my life with someone. As cheesy as it sounds, I have to learn to love myself before I can truly love someone else. It's hard to constantly be around gorgeous girls that are a size 4 and have perfect hair. It's hard to be taller and thicker and just plain different than everyone else. But you know what? I wouldn't change myself for anything. I'm starting to see that God made me who I am for a reason, and I am grateful for that. It's been a battle for me this last year to accept the fact that I'm never gonna be a size 2 or look like Jessica Simpson or any of the girls on America's Next Top Model. So What? How is anyone gonna love me if I don't love myself?! It's been quite the discovery for me. I think it's amazing how sometimes you hear exactly what you need to hear in a place where you aren't supposed to be. The sunday school teacher didn't know anything about me or my struggles as of late, and yet the lesson was basically tailor made to my needs. Tender Mercies, as Elder Bednar called them. Gotta love it!

P.S. This post was basically for me... thanks for listening.

6 comments:

Jackie Orrock said...

YOu go girl! I love you and you're beautiful and i'm glad i have a best friend like you! <3

Justin & Michelle said...

You look beautiful! xoxo

kylee said...

oh my Alyss.. I am so glad you wrote this.. because needless to say I feel alot the same way you do.. you are beautiful by the way.. and you will find one lucky man!=) It was so good to see you this weekend! I am sad I couldn't come to dinner!!! I love ya alyss! hope your day is great!

Kelli said...

Hi Alyssa. Found your blog from Aunt Janae. I think you are beautiful, smart and lots of fun to go to Mexico with, I wouldn't change a thing about you either. Hang in there baby Mr. Wonderful is out there!!! Kelli

Keith A. Runyon said...

Alyssa,
You are AWESOME! We look forward to seeing you this week up in Bountiful. You're 20 - enjoy your life and your college experience. It all goes by so fast. There is a lot of world to explore....just ask your aunt Janae!
Love,
Uncle Keith

Ally Kay said...

Lyssa Patyssa.
I love your insights. You always have the best outlooks on things and advice. Thanks for this post... it helped me out a lot. You're amazing. u-n-i-t-e let me hear you say unite! ha ha.